Photo Gallery Manager v1 Help Pages
User Guide Photo Gallery Manager v1
Whether your client is displaying a lot of product shots, or the pictures are the product, DMXReady Photo Gallery Manager will help organize, display, and manage every photo on their website. Include new photos, delete old ones, add and edit captions, even deactivate any single photo, all through a user-friendly browser interface.
Best of all, you only have to upload each photo to the server once – much better than changing one item in the gallery and then uploading the whole page again!
This must-have app from DMXReady will make sure that your client’s
customers will ‘get the picture’ easily, and eliminate most
of the time needed for gallery upkeep.
DMXReady Designer's Tip: Picture Your Gallery Ahead of Time
For those with a large number of photos, you may want to do a bit of planning ahead of time. Break down the Photo Gallery into separate categories, or at least identify what those categories will be. Although DMXReady's Photo Gallery Manager is easy to use, pre-planning will make using this tool even easier!
Creating A Photo Gallery with DMXReady Photo Gallery Manager
When you first install DMXReady Photo Gallery Manager into a Dreamweaver MX website, you are essentially opening a blank slate. If the Photo Gallery you are designing is large, you may find it easier to break down your Photo Gallery into different categories.
- Open the admin.asp page through any standard browser: http://www.yourdomain.com/admin/admin.asp You will note an empty table with the following headers: Category, Name, Description, Image, and a link listed as Insert New Item.
- Click on Insert New Item.
- Click on Add/Edit New Category.
- A pop-up box will appear. In the text box next to Add New Category, type the name of your first category and click on Insert New.
- The pop-up window disappears and you are back to the Photo Gallery creation page. Repeat the above process until all your categories are included.
DMXReady Designer's Tip: SAVE YOUR CHANGES OFTEN!
Due to security reasons, Photo Gallery Manager does not autobackup any changes to your server. Therefore it is recommended that you save your changes often. If you fail to save your changes, not only will your edits not be “published” to your server, you will also lose any changes that you have made and you will have to start again.
Once you have designated a category, it can be easily changed, replaced, or deleted. This can be done at anytime during creation or administration of the website; all changes made to category names will be automatically updated throughout the Photo Gallery.
- In the Photo Gallery creation page, click on Add/Edit New Category.
- When the pop-up window appears, select the category you wish to change. Once you've made the changes, click on Update.
- To delete the category altogether, click on Delete.
Once you have created your categories, you are ready to add all current photos. (Don’t worry if you think of another category during this process, just click on Add/Edit Category again and you can immediately insert it.)
- On the Insert New Item page, use the pull-down menu to select the category you want to enter the document under (if applicable).
- In the corresponding text boxes, type the image name, description, and date added.
- Enter the location of the photo file(s) on your hard drive into the appropriate text box. You can also click on Browse to search for these photos
- Click Insert. All photos and information will be automatically uploaded to your server.
- Repeat this process until all current events are inserted into your Photo Gallery.
DMXReady Designer's Tip: Transfer Your Photos
If your client has provided you with photos on a CD or other transferrable data storage device, transfer the photos to your hard drive before you upload them to your server. DMXReady Photo Manager can upload directly from CD-ROM (or other device) but this will greatly increase your set-up time.
- To change a photo or its corresponding name, descriptions, etc., go to the Show All page (the first page that appears when you enter the admin page).
- Click Edit next to the photo that you wish to change. All the photo's information will appear just as you have entered it. Make the required changes and click Insert.
- To delete a photo, go to the Show All page (the first page that appears when you enter the admin page).
- Click Delete next to the Photo Gallery that you wish to remove. All information will be immediately removed from the server.
DMXReady Designer's Tip: To Avoid Losing Photo Gallery Information Altogether...
If it is at all possible that you may want to reuse the photo again in the future, but you do not want that particular photo on the website at the moment, you may find it better to simply deactivate the photo by clicking off the 'Activate' checkbox in the editing page. The photo will no longer appear to visitors of your page, but the information will still be available for you to change or activate as you need in the future.
What you need to complete installation:
- DMXReady Photo Gallery Manager v1 zip file (download from members area)
- Winzip, 7-zip or other zip program
- FileZilla, BulletFTP, CuteFTP, Dreamweaver or other FTP client
- Unzip all files to your local site, the folder location on your computer that holds your website files.
- Upload all files and folders to your web server exactly as they were unzipped (DO NOT MODIFY file or folder names)
- Start using your application! - you can access the display page and admin page through the following url's (you need to substitute your domain name):
Location of Application:
Location of Admin Control Panel:
Your default login credentials for the Admin Area are:
Congratulations! You are now ready to setup your installation of Photo Gallery Manager v1
- Open the Admin Control Panel of your application through any standard browser:
Location of Admin Control Panel:
- Adding, editing, and deleting entries and Settings is fairly intuitive. However, instructions can be found in the user guide. Be sure to use the “Save” button/link to save any changes you make before you exit the page.
- Configure your server permissions (if necessary): Depending on how your web host has configured your web space, you may encounter a problem where your changes are not being saved to the database. To solve this problem, you simply need to change the read/write permissions on your "/databases/" folder, found in your web space control panel. If you do not know how to do this, please contact your web host company for instructions.
- Configure your email settings (if necessary): Follow the instructions from the readme.html file included in the Photo Gallery Manager v1 zip file or admin control panel for step-by-step instructions on how to configure your email settings to match your web hosts requirements.
- Securing Your Admin Area - For security reasons, remember to change the default username and password.
- Securing Your Database: DMXReady HIGHLY recommends you secure your database by following the instructions in our Online Knowledgebase.
- Troubleshooting Web Server Errors: Refer to our troubleshooting section if you encounter problems using Photo Gallery Manager v1.
Warranty & Support Conditions
Your DMXReady software purchase includes:
- 15 Day full refund guarantee. See our refund policy for more info.
- 30 Days email support for installation & setup. See our support policy for more info.
- Full lifetime access to the DMXReady product support portal.
Skin Photo Gallery Manager v1 with your own css template
It’s easy to skin Photo Gallery Manager v1, whether you are using Bootstrap, CSS templates or the “old-fashioned” HTML templates. You get all the power of a database-driven CMS application built into your own beautiful designs. Here's how to do it:
- Download and Extract your Template & Photo Gallery Manager v1 files to your local site folder.
- Create a copy of the main template file (index.html) and rename "index.asp".
- Open your new "index.asp" file and replace the placeholder html with the appropriate include files from Photo Gallery Manager v1.
- Wrap the Photo Gallery Manager v1 html with the appropriate CSS Div and Id classes using the original index.html file as a guide.
- Upload all files and you are ready to go!
This process may be challenging but the results are well worth it! It doesn't take much of a leap to figure out that you can do this with all your DMXReady applications – or your complete web site for that matter. Skin your old content for a new look and feel!
Want your app to look and work beautifully on ANY mobile device?
Now you can re-skin Photo Gallery Manager v1 using the amazing Twitter Bootstrap responsive design framework. Designers and do-it-yourselfers can use Photo Gallery Manager v1 as a jumping off point to build stunning custom CMS websites or develop slick web apps for the mobile web.
Test-drive DMXReady Links Manager v2 and see for yourself how you can modernize Photo Gallery Manager v1 to look & work beautifully on ANY mobile device.
You are just two steps from plugging in your new DMXReady application directly into your new or existing website. First, enter your domain name (without the www.):