Customizing Your App - Your Way! DMXReady + You = Amazing Website Solutions
From the start, DMXReady has set out to provide web designers and site owners with website application templates that are "ready to go, right out of the box," but most importantly fully customizable. You can change the design, the code, the database and even combine different apps to create your own website solutions. The beauty is, no matter what your skill level now, you can always learn how to do it yourself. In fact, 99% of web designers today are self-taught, and if they can do it, you can do it too.
What's important to remember is that customization will be a learning process, but we hope that with your ingenuity and these resources, you'll get the most from your DMXReady applications. In fact you'll find a whole library of information and links to other resources to help you customize your applications to your heart's content!
Tools of the Trade
Depending on your customization requirement, you'll need some or all of the following:
- FTP Client to publish files to your server - You can use FileZilla, BulletFTP, CuteFTP, Dreamweaver, Net2FTP or other FTP client.
- HTML Editor to edit the template files - You can use your favorite HTML editor including; Notepad, Dreamweaver, Muse, Visual Studio, Front Page, Silverlight, IE, Firefox etc.
- Database Editor can be used to modify the database architecture or directly edit the content including PHPmyAdmin, Navicat or MS Access.
- Templates/Themes/Graphics - skin your DMXReady app with professional templates and graphics from Wrapbootstrap, Themeforest and others.
- Freelance Help for advanced programming/coding - If you need advanced help with your customization project you can extra help. Learn more.
DMXReady has created built-in customization features, which you can find within the Admin Area or Dashboard of your DMXReady app. These settings are all fairly intuitive for even the most beginner user.
The level of basic customization options will be differ based on the application you are customizing. Below is a list of the things you can change using your web browser:
- Define Your Settings/Preferences
- Set up Content Categories
- Add Your Custom Content
- Upload Images, Graphics, Files
- Setup Your Navigation, Header, Footer, Logo
DMXReady applications are unique in that you can actually change the software to meet your needs. There are literally an unlimited number of ways you can customize your DMXReady application. You can change the design including background color, font, graphics; you can tweak the CSS; you can re code the AJAX and VBScript to do different things; you can create new database fields using MSAccess or even convert to another database system. Below is a list of the things you can change from the control panel/admin area of Account List Manager.
- Change Skin - learn how to "re-skin" your dmxready app with the amazing Bootstrap responsive design framework
- Modify CSS - learn more about CSS
- Modify Templates - learn more about HTML
- Modify Ajax - learn more about Jquery & Ajax
- Modify ASP code - learn more about Classic ASP scripting
- Modify Database - learn more about databases
We've gathered a number of resources over the years to help you modify your applications. This is not a "course" in how to modify your DMXReady apps, but a set of pointers and tips to help you get started in the right direction.
Unlike the Basic Customization, you will be changing things at the code level, including CSS, AJAX code snippets, and more. But don't worry, there are little hints listed with each feature as well as support through the product support center.
If you have any ideas of your own that you'd like to share with other DMXReady app owners, feel free to contact us!
General Tips for Customization
- Don't be afraid to explore and experiment - Create backups of your original Zip files so if you make a wrong turn simply restore the original files and start again. By simply keeping a back-up copy of your original files, you will never make an irreversible mistake.
- Take advantage of DMXReady's resources - We've spent years compiling tips and tricks, especially those specific to DMXReady applications. See a list of our resources below.
- Familiarize yourself with the power of Dreamweaver - Refer to your Dreamweaver (or other HTML editor) "Help" documentation and "Getting Started" tutorials found inside your Dreamweaver application (click on the "help" menu). This is a great resource for learning how to build database applications like those built by DMXReady.
- Use Existing Online Resources to learn about web design - There are many resources available on the Internet to help you including the Adobe Dreamweaver Support Center and literally thousands of web pages with free advice on ASP, MSAccess and HTML design.
- Search Google - If you are stuck on a specific problem, search Google for a solution using terms that best describe your problem - you will find answers to issues already posted by other web designers.
- DMXReady User Guides
There are a number of resources packed inside each DMXReady application User Guide. These offer some specific tips and help about features contained within the application like how to use the WYSIWYG editor, database security, and more. This is always the first place you should look for insight into customizing your DMXReady application.
- DMXReady Accessories
Before you make that modification, check to see if it's already been done in the DMXReady Accessory Library. Here we add snippets that extend the functionality of your applications, add new features, or make the application work in a different way. Why reinvent the wheel? Click on the "Accessories" tab inside your product detail page to view accessories that are available for your app.
- DMXReady ASP Garage Blog
This blog covers a number of different topics from ASP programming and customization to general web design tips and news items affecting web designers and web owners today. Features a searchable index so you can find the information you need by keywords, category, and date.
- DMXReady Online Knowledgebase
Before there were blogs, DMXReady created a library of articles, snippets, and announcements in its Online Knowledgebase. Many of the entries in this library are specific to DMXReady applications, but there are some general articles regarding web design.
- DMXReady Support Desk
There are times when you might not quite understand how your DMXReady application is supposed to work. You can always send a Support Ticket to the DMXReady team with your questions about your apps or accessories. Please note: we cannot offer support for your own customization efforts - that's debugging, and that's a whole other kettle of fish. (See our Customization Support Policy below.) But if you have a question about the functionality of your application out of the box, or how a certain feature works, send your questions our way!
- Hire a Freelance Programmer
There are 1000's of freelance programmers willing and able to modify your DMXReady app to your exact specifications. Here are a few websites offering a quick and easy way to hire a programmer. Learn How
There are a number of websites that offer great information about modifying your applications, including:
- Adobe Dreamweaver Support
- Adobe Dreamweaver Developer Center
- Adobe Dreamweaver Forum
- ASP 101
- Programmers Resource
DMXReady Customization Support Policy
We encourage everyone to modify the HTML code and all scripting to meet your own specific needs. That being said, we unfortunately cannot provide free technical support for your customization efforts. De-bugging is a big part of the customization process, and it's a skill that every scripting programmer needs to learn. Just remember to keep a backup copy of your Zip file, and you will never make an unrecoverable mistake. Also keep in mind that most web designers are self-taught - if they can do it, you can do it too!
DMXReady Money Back Guarantee
We understand it's difficult to fully evaluate whether or not our software is right for you until you get under the hood. That's why we offer a Full Refund within 15 days of purchase. If the software does not meet your needs, you can simply request a full refund - no questions asked! Learn more.